Friday, January 16, 2009

Opening Night Success


Last night marked the opening night of "Cock-A-Doodle-Doo." Our show was the second one on the double bill, following a 40-minute presentation of original poetry inspired by Melville. The whole reading was a little static and a little slow paced, but her poetry was well-written. Then there was a little break while we set up our play, and then the actors went out to fly on their own merits for their first show. I was forced to sit in the second row and see how the audience of about 25 people was going to like out little play. And it all went very well. The audience liked the show, laughed at some of the best places, and gave a lot of applause at the curtain call. I tried to hold off on taking any notes, since I personally think that the performances of a show should be free from major interfere or contribution from the director. Especially for a show that only runs four performances.

Try as I might, I couldn't hold off from taking notes, but most of them were just technical notes. I hadn't seen the entire show with all the light cues, so I had a couple changes that I want to make to that side of the show. And then there were just a few general things that I will make the actors aware of, but nothing major and certainly nothing substantial. At this point, the show is what it is, and I'm not going to be able to change anything. Nor would I want to. Some friends came to the show last night, and they all had very nice things to say about the production. A woman who I had worked with at Bristol Valley Theatre a few summers back, and she said that I should be very proud of my New York City debut. I am. The cast has done a great job in a short amount of time, and they should be very proud of the show that we've put together.

1 comment:

JParis said...

Excellent job, Nick. Glad to hear it went well. We received the program in the mail here at the window mill. Are you ready to come back? There have been some changes...