Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Very" rough blocking

So yesterday we finished blocking the show. Yup, you heard me. We put a skeleton into the entire show, and we got to know the joys and limitations of our set as well. With that very rough idea of the show in place, we now have a great chance to see where all the problems are going to be. We have a turntable on the stage that I imagine is going to get a little confusing, as to when it shows the outside of the Grill and when it shows in the inside. But it also gave all us actors the chance to bond and get to know each other, so that as we roll forward into the rest of rehearals we'll keep playing around and having fun. Our next rehearsal is for music, and I'm a little nervous about it. I knew this role was a stretch for my vocal cords, but I was approaching the CD with nothing but confidence. But at our readthrough, some of the actors were talking about how great the show is, and about how I have their favorite song in the show. And it's true, I do get to sing "The Forest for the Trees," which is the best song in the show. It's also the song that I'm now the most nervous about when it comes to vocal performance. Somewhere along the way, I "forgot" how to sing and project from my diaphragm, and that's going to be an important skill to learn again very quickly.

No comments: