Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Reflections on a show gone by

I'm running pretty behind on twists and turns here, but I'll try to get back on schedule.

Last Saturday marked our last performance of TMS, followed by a limited set strike. We made sure to grab all our personal belongings that had been used for both costume pieces and set dressing, and then we helped our director get all of her stuff down the steps and into her car. We picked up our official show T-shirts, grabbed all the leftover posters that we wanted, and then headed home from the theatre for the last time. On the next night, we met at a restaurant near Villanova for a little cast party, with drinks, food, conversation, and ESPN. It was a nice, low-key way to say goodbye to the show.

Overall, I'm glad that TMS has come to a close. It was a tough experience for me, both for rehearsals and for performances. It was a frustrating rehearsal process that challenged me very much. The director and I worked in different ways to the show, and she supported a "straight line" approach as opposed to my own method of "smaller and smaller circles." I'll write a compare and contrast essay later, I suppose. And then the three week run was exhausting, both because of the intense focus that the show required as well as the limited number of shows per week. We had long breaks between performance weeks, and it is always hard to build a sense of momentum through those long dry periods.

And not twelve hours after the party broke up, but I was once again sitting in front of the computer to complete the final edit on "Changing Lane." But that is another posting entirely...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is "TMS"? :)

Anonymous said...

kidding...