Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The biggest Hail Mary ever

I went down to Philly this afternoon for an audition with the Philly Shakespeare Festival. I've known about this audition for a few weeks now, and I've been meaning to find some new monologues, work on them with a coach, and really hit the audition out of the park. Needless to say, I was a little too lazy and undisciplined to do all of that, so I ended up sitting in the waiting room with two monologues that I wasn't crazy about. I hadn't really rehearsed them either, so it was a big Hail Mary play. But when I stood on the stage and the speeches came out, they came out really well. There was a sense of playfulness about them, a sense of discovery and creation of the text. So the hail mary turned into a play that was dead-on. We'll see if anything comes of it, or if it fades off into the ether, but it feels really good to have given a solid audition to a company that I'd like to work with.

No comments: