Sunday, January 13, 2008

No rest for the jobless

One of the most unique and trying elements about this career of mine is the constant search for work. My parents have finally come to understand it, but it's an element of the job that outsides marvel at. While my friends at Pella windows can plan out their job by the years, I plan out my job by the months. And most of these jobs don't provide any sort of benefits package to those who work for them. So as I'm rehearsing one show at night, I need to stay focused to spend the majority of my days finding more work for March. In my quest in the new year to become a screen actor, I have scheduled two open calls for the casting directors in Philadelphia this month. My first is at 11am tomorrow, and I've prepared for it just about as much as I can. I have a book that details technique for auditioning on screen, and I'm going to try to be as good a film actor as I can be. Working on "Paper Cuts" was a great opportunity to do a little film work, and I hope it's something that will pay off. New headshots and a polished monologue only add to my hesitant confidence, but I'm really looking forward to the chance to be seen. Even if the start is only day work here and there, or even if nothing comes out of this right away, these are the next steps that I want to take with my career as a whole. It's a hard job, but I'm taking an active approach to the work this year. This is the year I'm going to make something happen for myself.

No comments: