Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Week of Work

Last week was a very tiring one in terms of hours worked. I spent six hours every day working at the office, I came home and had an early dinner/late lunch, I drove for an hour, rehearsed for three hours, and then drove an hour home. By Wednesday or Thursday, I was starting to suffer on that last trip home, and I definitely had to take a little nap in the back row of the theatre on Wednesday night. We don't have rehearsals on the weekends, which is both a bad thing and a good thing. It's a bad thing because it really does interrupt the flow of our process, and it makes each week almost seem like a separate event rather than just pieces of a larger whole. But it is a good thing in the sense that we're not worn out, and I have weekends free for either other projects (last weekend) or complete and utter relaxation (this weekend.) Plus, I could sit back and watch the Phillies win their division on Saturday afternoon, clinching with a great game at home. I had hoped to do some writing and work on a script or two, but instead I spent a lot of time sleeping, a little time cleaning, a little time shopping, and a lot of time watching sports on TV.

I've been feeling restless lately, partly because I haven't been going on many auditions, and partly because this is the first fall in two years that I'm not about to leave on a national tour. So it's a strange sensation that I'm not really used to, and I'm looking at other "real" non-acting jobs, and I'm thinking about going back to full-time at the desk job, making as much relatively easy money as I can for the rest of the year, maybe sneak in some dentist and doctor visits under the company's heathcare plan, and then head out to seek my fortune in the new calendar year. I've always been told that I'd have a good career if I stuck with the profession into my thirties, and that's an assessment that I've agreed with in the past. I'm not really one to play the conflicted young men, but I'll do really well when I'm finally old enough to play their fathers. It's just a matter of sticking around in the profession long enough to get those roles.

No comments: