Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Let it Go

Last night, I went out for another audition. We'd been closed at Spitfire for just over 24 hours, and I was already back pounding the pavement. It was the second open call for a fun musical at a local Equity theatre. I had a good feeling going in, but when the accompanist missed the key on my song, I chose to calmly restart it. We went from the beginning instead of the middle, and I think I did a good job. But as I was leaving the theater, I thought of a lesson I've read in my most recent book. When you leave the room, he says, forget the audition. It was a good job, but not my best, and I'm going to just move on to the next couple auditions I have scheduled. I have five coming up in the next week or so, and I'm trying to schedule more. That's the bit of the business that I hate, but the payoff is worth it. There is nothing else I would rather do than be an actor, and I'm just struggling to make a living at it.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Tell me what the results for The Full Monty audition are, good or bad. If they're good, I'll applaud. If they're bad, I'll kick someone's ass.

http://puppyoncrack.wordpress.com

-Vicky T

Andrea said...

That is one hot mess.

Nick M said...

At the moment, feels like you'll have to kick someone's ass. But I have another one tomorrow that would have me working out near San Diego.

And I like your website, Vicky.

Andrea said...

Actually, I should leave a serious comment. I remember saying something similar to an audition coach about just forgetting my auditions after they ended. She said that's halfway to a good idea - I should take a few moments right after the audition to reflect on and WRITE DOWN my thoughts on it - positives and negatives - and then let it go.

Not saying I get around to doing that all the time - but it is sometimes helpful. And over the long run, you can see if there are consistent "negatives" that need addressing.

jeff p said...

Yo! When was that pic shot?? It looks like you got back into costume for the finale party, ear piece and all.