Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Life is a cabaret

The cabaret last night went very well indeed. I had decided on six of my poems, along with a special introduction I wrote yesterday afternoon to set up what I would be doing. I was very nervous waiting for it all to begin, and I realized that it was because I would be sharing work that I had actually created. Other people sang songs, but I was the one who was actually offering something new into the air, a manifestation of my own creativity and mind. It's also something that I've never publically shared - I presented poems in writer's group, submitted them to magazines, or had friends read them in private, but it was the first time I got up on stage in front of people I didn't know in order to read my poetry to them.

As intimidating as it was, it also turned out really well. People laughed at the jokes, smiled with familiarity at other sections, and they were talking about them when we went to the bar afterwards. All in all, a very successful night.

3 comments:

Amanda S said...

Yay! You're a big deal. =)

Nick said...

Apparently, I'm the bad boy from Philly. One poem contained a little strong language, and I felt the whole audience shift because of it. I removed some references in another poem I read....

Amanda S said...

I'm so curious. "Bad boy from Philly" haha. What risque language did your poetry contain? And I sincerely hope your last-minute editing didn't take away from the integrity of the piece.