Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Audition Away!

Yesterday I headed off for an audition out near Yardley, brought to me by my agent. It was for a car dealership, and they were seeking an on-camera spokesman for their TV campaign. There were some script pages that I had to prepare, and then when I got into the audition room they asked me to do a few exercises, then had me read the scenes. They gave me some direction and had me read the scenes again, and then thanked me for my time and sent me on my way. In addition to the employees of the production company, I think there were three reps from the client there in the room for my audition, and they were nodding their heads as they were watching me on the monitor. They all seemed to like what I was doing, and I thought I was doing it pretty well. Overall, I was very pleased with the audition. As I was walking out to my car, I thought of a few other things I could have shown them on-camera, but the nature of this business just forces me to hold onto those ideas for the next audition. I threw the script pages away on the way home, since the best thing to do about auditions is to forget about them.

I have another audition coming up on Friday morning. A theatre in the Pocono mountains called me in to audition for the role of King Arthur in their production of "Camelot," running this summer. That's funny to me, because I had made the decision a week ago to give up musical theatre and focus on drama and comedy. Days after I made that decision, I got this call for Arthur. At first I wasn't excited, but after I listened to the CD and read the script for the musical, I got excited about the role. So maybe this will be a last excursion into musical theatre (if I'm lucky enough to get the role), but maybe the musicals will keep pulling me back in.

What a crazy career.

No comments: