Friday, July 11, 2008

Walking the Red Carpet

Monday night marked the grand premiere of “Changing Lane.” I rented the theatre in a small video library in Mt. Airy, printed out posters for the movie, and we got dressed up for the party. Andrea made Clark Kent/Superman themed cupcakes and mint-flavored “krypto-bite” brownies, and I even assembled a “bonus features” book that had props from the film, as well as behind the scenes photos and different designs for the Superman S-shield. There was a little bit of a mixup with the reservation (they didn’t have any record of my payment), but we got it all straightened out in time for everyone to arrive. Lucky for me that they didn’t book something else in the meantime! I’d rather be lucky than good, after all. And when I said that at the premiere, Rob responded that he would be good if I could keep being lucky. Sounds like a plan to me.

I’ve got some pictures from the premiere, which I will post in a few days. It was a really good time. I had been looking forward to it for a while, and it was a lot of fun to spend the night celebrating the work we had already done. On the drive out to Mt. Airy, Rob and I decided that we needed to have more of these premiere parties, since we liked going to them so much. We were also double checking that we had the DVD every few miles, knowing it would be a bad idea to get to our own premiere without the movie.

Everyone enjoyed the film, including my family, Andrea’s sister, and the employee of the video store that we invited to join us. He said that they rarely get people showing original material, and he was very complimentary about the project. Everyone there seemed very excited that their library was being used as the site of a premiere for an original film. A big comic book fan that I know described it as “one of the best fan films he’s ever seen,” and that is saying a lot. It’s certainly a quote that is going to go on the back of the DVD release box! Some of the best feedback I’ve gotten on the film is for it’s writing, which has been described as “excellent” and “natural.” Maybe I should go in for a career in screenwriting, or in script editing. I wonder how one goes about finding a career like that…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got me seeing Superman stuff everywhere now, even at the grocery store amongst the toys that hang from the shelves every few feet. Anyway, the premiere was a lot of fun. I was so thrilled that Jacque wanted to go - we had a great date night together. And thanks again for recommending the Solaris Grille.

Nick said...

Dude, you keep mentioning the Solaris Grille, and they should owe me some of the money for throwing business their way! (wouldn't it be nice if things actually worked like that...)