Sunday, May 18, 2008

The plus side of corporate America

This week, I went back to my job in corporate America, working for Pella Windows as a customer service rep. I've worked there off and on for the past two years, and they told me that they needed some part-time help for a while. With the acting and producing gigs falling a little light in the wallet (particularly the work on Changing Lane,) it seemed an easy way to make some money. I already know the job, I know the people, and, perhaps most importantly, the supervisors already know me. They have always been flexible when it came to allowing me time off for rehearsals and auditions. The job is also different this time around because it feels more temporary, even though we didn't set a specific "end date" for my employment. I have lots of things going on that I want to produce, fund, or develop, and so each hour I work in my cubicle is a concrete hour's worth of progress toward one of those goals. I'm on vacation next week up in NYC, so I'm sure there will be money involved there, but when I get home and start working on TOS, the game will be to spend as little money as possible, save as much as I can, and start building concrete progress toward my own goals for the year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still not seeing the plus side of corporate America...

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jeff but I'm just not seeing the plus side of America, do I have to come back? Have fun at pella don't annoy anyone

Nick said...

I meant to say that the reliable paycheck was the best part. Apparently, I neglected to mention that in the actual post.